Pages

Fresh 48s

Monday, April 17, 2017

I've had a lot of inquiries about my Fresh 48s, and most of them inquiring as to what they actually are. Hence, a blog post dedicated SOLELY TO FRESH 48S. And contrary to popular belief, this has nothing to do with the first 48 hours following a murder.


First and foremost, a Fresh 48 IS NOT a newborn session. I don't bring any props. No baskets, blankets, suitcases, or equipment outside of my camera. I don't trapeze through your house looking for the best light. I don't sit on the couch and wait for your baby to fall into a deep sleep. Every single picture is taken in the hospital, while your baby is still pink and Milia free. This almost always guarantees a shoot within the first 48 hours. See where that catchy title is coming from?


Most of these images are black and white. The main reason for this is that I believe these images are meant to tell a story. They're made to be raw and vulnerable. Black and white allows a certain conviction that I can't be swayed away from. Another reason is that while some babies are perfectly pink, other babies can be yellow like sunshine, or red like roses, and black and white photos are very forgiving of these tendencies.


This doesn't mean that I don't allow color in every now and again. And it doesn't mean that EVERY IMAGE will be black and white.


I know what you're thinking. "I'm going to be so exhausted and I'm going to look like crap." Maybe you will. Maybe you won't. I've had Moms go all out and put all of their make up on. I've had Moms wear their exhaustion with pride. I've had Moms throw on mascara and leave their hair a mess. Want to know the common ground? The images are still breathtaking. No matter what. The baby steals the show every time.


That bottom one is me. I was an exhausted and proud mom. Still my favorite image of all the newborn shoots we did with our first. That picture is actually what inspired these sessions that I'm so determined to get off of the ground. I love the image. I love the intimacy, exhaustion, and pride all wrapped up in one picture. It's motherhood in a nutshell.


These pictures always end up being so romantic and worthwhile. The hospital euphoria that accompanies a newborn reminds you of how deeply you love your spouse and how committed you are to this covenant vow, especially now with two little eyes watching you. I love capturing that renewed promise in the hours following the birth of a baby.

Geesh, I could share pictures of these shoots all day. I'm so passionate about them, but really there are a few things that I need you to know about them.


  • These take thirty minutes, TOPS. I'm not there to do a newborn session. I do them as quickly and efficiently as possible, and I don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. I've captured truly stunning images of Moms nursing their babies, but I've also waited in the hall while they wrapped up a feed.
  • You'll do your best to talk yourself out of them when you get to the hospital. I know better than anyone how exhausting birth is. But I can also guarantee that you will not regret letting me come and capture the calm before the storm. Every client that I've done these for has either 1. Opted out of actual newborns because they love these so much, or 2. Still loved these more than the newborns. These are the pictures that get printed first.
I feel like this covers the gist. If you have any questions about packages or how the whole process works, feel free to email or message me on Facebook. I'll be happy to answer any additional questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment